Are you an accounting or tax professional thinking of moving back home? Barden are here to help…..
Accommodation, taxes, red tape and rising costs, never mind the emotional adjustment, have all been cited as the challenges for emigrants returning home to Ireland. Thankfully the employment market, whilst remains a challenge in certain areas, has been kind to those within the finance, accounting & tax space.
The team at Barden are delighted to be in a position to support you in this huge career and (let’s face it) life decision, on returning to Ireland. We are here with you to plan a route to market and can provide support before you even land back in sunny Ireland (well ok, rainy Ireland!).
Putting aside the broader macro-economic factors affecting the market (Brexit, US reforms, euro zone issues, election related upheavals etc) let’s talk specifics in terms of some of the trends occurring in the jobs market for accounting and tax professionals over the last little while….
- Benefitting from both FDI and domestic lead investment there has been a surge in terms of the volume and nature of roles available in Ireland in 2018 – a trend expected to continue for 2019, not withstanding any sizeable economic shocks.
- Many of the biggest companies in the world run parts of their European business out of Ireland. Central to their success is their ability to build truly world class finance teams. 2018 saw an increase in the formation of multinational Finance Hubs in Ireland, based primarily in Dublin and Cork.
- Continued growth within the Irish plcs and larger indigenous businesses expanding overseas, resulting in a demand for accountants and tax specialists to support said growth.
- Robots and artificial intelligence (AI) have continued to be a regular taking point within the finance community – forays in these areas have resulted in net job creation rather than attrition for finance professionals, particularly in the areas of business process transformation. We expect more job creation as a result of this in 2019.
- The practice landscape has changed significantly as many firms continue to invest outside of traditional service offerings to broader consulting, advisory and outsourcing services.
- Depending on how long you’ve been out of the country, base salaries have increased strongly for early career professionals (up to about 5-6 years PQE) and remain stable at more senior levels. Further inflation of base salaries is expected in 2019 probably expanding to the 10 year PQE mark. Intrinsic reward (non-financial) however is where the war for finance talent is really being fought in Ireland, with more and more companies offering flexible working arrangement in leu of increased financial reward. (Check out the latest Salary Survey from Chartered Accountants Ireland Leinster Society and Barden).
To give some more context and an idea of what to expect, our managing partners in Dublin & Cork, Elaine Brady and Jonathan Olden provides these insights;
“Over the recent months we have invested heavily in Barden Dublin to make sure we are ready to meet the demands of the market, and will continue to do so into 2019”, says Elaine. “Part of that strategy is to engage with finance, accounting and tax professionals currently working or travelling abroad and to guide their transition to Dublin; making sure they get access to the best teams and realise their honest market value. The newly qualified sector and up to 5 yrs. pqe in particular are expected to have a number of opportunities to choose from across financial services, pharma, tech, life sciences, fmcg and professional services”
“2019 will be a big year for finance professionals in Cork. In Barden we are already aware of at least 60-70 newly created finance roles that will come on track next year. Some of these roles will be driven by the expansion of existing Finance Hubs, some by new market entrants and some by some great Irish businesses that call Cork home” says Jonathan
How Can Barden Help You?
If you are interested in moving home, then please get in touch. We can provide market insights relevant to your background, help you prepare your CV, take advantage of your international experience and of course we can discuss open opportunities with you.
Over the coming year will have ample opportunities for:
Finance Directors/CFOs, Financial Controllers, Finance Managers, Financial Accountants, Commercial Analysts, Finance Business Partners Tax Professionals, Corporate Finance Specialists, Audit, Internal Audit and Transactional Service Professionals at all levels.
Salaries will be competitive, career opportunities unrivalled and the quality of life…well, that’s just second to none.
At Barden we invest our resources to bring you the very best insights on all things to do with your professional future. Got a topic you would like us to research? Got an insight you would like us to share with our audience? Drop us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take it from there!