Barden has been exclusively engaged by a market leader company in facilities management as they seek to appoint a General Counsel & Company Secretary to lead and oversee the Legal, Risk & Compliance, Company Secretarial and Insurance functions in Ireland and in the UK. The role will report into the Group CFO and will have 3 direct reports and access to other resources within the business.
This is a very well established company which continues to be in significant expansion, growing organically and inorganically through acquisitions. The business will remain acquisitive both in Ireland an in the UK, with an eye out for opportunities to expand further across Europe.
The offices are based in Dublin North but the company will accommodate hybrid working arrangements, with a minimum of 2 days in the office.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a key role within the organisation, acting as a strategic business partner to the executive team and the wider business. Responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal advice and strategic guidance on a variety of legal issues related to commercial operations, M&A, commercial contracts and transactions, property, etc.
- Overseeing the company secretarial function, ensuring compliance with company law requirements and providing Board support, including in preparing board agendas, minutes, and annual filings.
- Developing and implementing legal and risk management strategies in alignment with the business’ strategies while ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Providing guidance on compliance matters and policies related to topics such as data protection, anti-corruption, trade regulations, etc.
- Managing external counsel and monitor legal budget.
- Overseeing the company’s self-insurance program, including assessing and managing risk associated with potential liabilities and ensuring adequate coverage.
Full job spec available.
ABOUT THE PERSON
- Irish qualified Solicitor with a minimum of 7 years’ PQE (the company welcomes more experienced candidates and, for the right individual, also doesn’t exclude considering candidates starting at the 5 years’ PQE level)
- Experience in-house, ideally in a multinational environment, is preferred. However, the business will consider candidates directly from private practice who have the right experience, particularly those in Corporate M&A or Commercial teams in top tier law firms.
- The ideal candidate would have experience in a variety of legal matters and areas, and they must at least have an expertise in either Corporate/M&A or Commercial Contracts.
- Experience managing a team and frequently advising and supporting executive teams/Boards is highly desirable.
Barden’s Legal recruitment practice is where legal professionals go before they start looking for a job. Make sure you get expert advice about your legal career from Barden first – your future is just too important to leave to chance.