Irish Corporate HQs attract top accounting talent in Ireland; here's why...
Large Irish companies, with a corporate headquarters here at home, have a tendency to hire the top 10% of accounting talent in Ireland. Fact.
That’s why companies like Musgrave Group, Avolon, Apple, Itron, Eli Lilly, FMC, CPL Resources, Datalex, Glenveagh, Properties, Hostel World Group, Malin Corporation, Tesco, DCC, Allianz, Axa, Zurich, Marsh, Willis, JLT, CRH, Kerry Group, Ardagh, Greencore, Dalata, Applegreen, Aryzta, Paddy Power Betfair, C&C, to name but a few, are home to some of the best and the brightest accountants in Ireland.
Hiring into these group functions typically happens at the 0-2 years post qualified level, but there have been a number of recent cases of external Manager and Director level appointments, as these behemoths of Irish industry build for 2020 and beyond.
Why do many of the top accountants choose to work in group functions? There are a few obvious and not so obvious reasons:
- Like with Like: Great people want to work with great people. A track record of hiring top talent increases the likelihood of attracting top talent in the future. Makes sense right?
- Large to small: As a rule of thumb, it is always easier to move from a large company to a smaller company, rather than the other way round. Career aware accountants tend to build their early career in larger companies to increase their options in the future. That’s just the way it is.
- Mobility Locally: HQ’s tend to have larger teams and hence more options to move internally. The larger the company, the more structured the team, the higher volume of opportunity. It’s just a matter of scale.
- Mobility Internationally: Large Irish companies like nothing better than promoting accountants into their business globally. Smart, ambitious people know that, if they want the corner office, they will need to get out into the business to gather the knowledge and earn the right to that top job. You can’t claim the top spot if you don’t know the business.
- Being on the cutting edge: From technology, to professional development, larger companies have large budgets. If you want to stay ahead of the game it is more likely you will have the head-space and the budget to do it in a larger company. Innovation happens in large and small alike.
In Barden, we have the absolute privilege of working with the majority of Ireland’s greatest, home grown finance teams. If you want to build your future with the best, let us know and we can talk you through your options.
You are the sum of the five people you spend most of your time with. If you’re the best person in your team, you’re in the wrong business.
Not only are most of our Recently Qualified Accountant Team in Barden (Meet our teams – Dublin, Cork) qualified accountants just like you, we have all been trained in the Barden Career Model (TM). This unusual blend of experience, knowledge and training allows us to provide a different type of recruitment service!
(Got another question? Need a steer to keep you on the right track? Check out the Barden Newly Qualified Career Guide right here>>>)
At Barden we invest our resources to bring you the very best insights on all things to do with your professional future. Got a topic you would like us to research? Got an insight you would like us to share with our audience? Drop us a note to email@example.com and we will take it from there!