Moving abroad to live and work requires significant thought, not to mention resources, and you’d be foolish not to give the move and its impact on your career proper consideration before purchasing your plane ticket.
That’s why we’ve joined together with CASSI to bring you a webinar for trainee and recently qualified accountants considering a move to Australia, Canada, Cayman or the UK, with the aim of giving you THE best advice about moving abroad after you qualify.
Who Is The Webinar For & What Will It Cover?
We’ve reached out to our expert partner firms in Australia, Canada, Cayman, Dubai and the UK to bring you the latest and most relevant advice, tips and guidance for you to consider before making the move. We’ll also hear from our own expert recruitment professionals, all of whom have lived and worked in the countries we will cover.
During the event we’ll also cover some of THE most important questions you will have like:
- What is the market ACTUALLY like in Australia/Canada/Cayman/Dubai/UK at the moment?
- What kind of roles do qualified accountants typically move into when they go to Australia/Canada/Cayman/Dubai/UK?
- Do people typically take on permanent or contract jobs when they move over?
- Is there anything from a VISA point of view that I should be aware of?
- Should I try to get a job before I move over or when I arrive? How long does it usually take to get a job in Australia/Canada/Cayman/Dubai/UK?
- What is the likelihood of sponsorship if you wanted to stay for more than one year?
- What experience is seen as being particularly valuable for companies taking on qualified accountants moving to Australia/Canada/Cayman/Dubai/UK? (Is experience outside practice really useful?)
- What is the average pay rate for a recently qualified accountant in Australia/Canada/Cayman/Dubai/UK?
- What is the best time of year to get hired?
- What 3 tips would you give to a recently qualified accountant looking to relocate to Australia/Canada/Cayman/Dubai/UK from Ireland?
Key Event Details
- Title: A Guide to Moving Abroad for Recently Qualified Accountants
- Date: Thursday 31st March 2022
- Time: 1.00pm-2.00pm
- Venue: Zoom
- Cost: FOC
- Brian O’Connor ACA | Senior Associate | Expert in Recently Qualified Accounting Careers | Barden Dublin
- Ed Heffernan | Managing Partner | Barden
- Lisa Hughes ACA | Team Lead | Expert in Recently Qualified Accountants Careers | Barden Dublin
- Siobhán Sexton ACA| Senior Associate | Expert in Recently Qualified Accounting Careers | Barden Cork
- To Book: Click here
More About the Speakers
Brian O’Connor ACA | Senior Associate | Expert in Recently Qualified Accounting Careers | Barden Dublin
Brian O’Connor ACA is a Senior Associate at Barden, and an expert in recently qualified accounting careers.
Brian qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2017, completing his training with Deloitte. He is a graduate of UCD and holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Commerce and a Master’s Degree in Accounting.
Following his training in Deloitte he spent some time travelling and working in Australia gaining experience within industry, working in financial accounting roles with Vocus Group Limited, Toll Group and Independent Cement & Lime Group.
Ed Heffernan | Managing Partner | Barden Ireland
Ed Heffernan is Managing Partner of Barden Ireland. In 2014 he founded Barden, with Elaine Brady. He has worked for many years in recruitment both locally and internationally, within the accounting and tax space.
Ed has worked with 1000s of accountants nationally on career moves and is a regular contributor to industry publications, including Accountancy Ireland & Accountancy Plus.
A UCC grad Ed holds a number of qualifications in personnel management, human resources and later completed an MBA with Trinity College Dublin.
Lisa Hughes ACA | Team Lead | Expert in Recently Qualified Accountants Careers | Barden Dublin
Lisa Hughes ACA is a Team Lead and expert in recently qualified accounting careers. She leads our Recently Qualified Accountant team in Dublin. Prior to joining us she completed a Bachelor of Science in Finance (BSc Finance) in UCC, gained her ACA qualification through training with KPMG and went on to complete a Diploma in IFRS from Chartered Accountants Ireland.
She qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2015 and completed her training contract in KPMG‘s financial services audit department, working predominantly on aircraft leasing clients and advisory assignments.
In 2018 Lisa took a sabbatical from Barden and spent the 9 months travelling and working in Australia and New Zealand. During her time in Australia, Lisa was a Specialist Recruiter in commerce, industry, audit, risk and compliance with T+O+M Executive, one of Sydney’s leading specialist recruitment firms.
Siobhan Sexton ACA | Senior Associate | Expert in Recently Qualified Accounting Careers | Barden Cork
Originally from Cork, Siobhán Sexton ACA trained in KPMG Cork in the Tax Department and she is ACA qualified since 2017.
Siobhán also worked as part of the Management Consulting team in KPMG Dublin during her training contract. She worked predominantly on pharmaceutical, IT and construction clients.
This experience gives her a unique insight into the finance, accounting and professional service markets.
Following the completion of her training contract with KPMG, Siobhán joined Barden Dublin in March 2017 as part of the Recently Qualified Accountants team.
In 2018 she took a sabbatical to travel to and work in Canada. During her time in Canada Siobhán worked with both Michael Page and Robert Walters Recruitment. On returning to Ireland, Siobhán relocated to her hometown of Cork and now works with our Recently Qualified Accountants team in Barden Cork.