Barden are delighted to be supporting our Global Biopharmaceutical client in their search for an MSAT Scientist Operations for their state-of-the-art start manufacturing facility in Cork.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- The MSAT Scientist, Upstream is a scientific thought-leader within the Process Lab Science team who will provide scientific expertise on a variety of small-scale cell culture/microbial fermentation techniques to support process characterization, troubleshooting of manufacturing issues, and continuous process improvement.
- The candidate should have experience in bio-processing of proteins (Enzymes, Antibodies), and more specifically have hands on expertise of small-scale laboratory mammalian cell culture and/or microbial bioprocessing techniques such as seed train cultivation, stirred tank bioreactors or stainless steel fermentation systems.
- This Scientist will be involved in various cross functional projects that will involve high standards of collaboration with scientific peers across MSAT, Process Development, Manufacturing, Quality and Engineering. This person should apply “big-picture thinking” to resolve complex challenges and act as a technical mentor with business acumen and prove stakeholder management skills.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Proven expertise in small scale model development and use of scale-down cell culture/microbial fermentation models to perform process characterisation, optimise manufacturing processes and support manufacturing investigations.
- Design and deliver scientific projects & studies in line with overall MSAT business plan. Communicate results and provide recommendation to resolve investigations, improve execution and efficiency.
- Guide and empower more junior scientists to conduct their technical work to a similar high standard.
- Act as a thought leader within a team of SME’s – apply innovative thinking, systematic problem solving and “big-picture thinking” to resolve complex scientific challenges. Promote a culture of team technical discussion and collaboration.
- Scientific mentorship of more junior scientists on the team through technical guidance and knowledge sharing.
- Critically evaluate the manufacturing process and proactively ideate to identify opportunities for robustness improvement, yield maximisation or cost reduction.
- Participate in the internal network of SME’s across the scientific and technical functions namely MSAT, Process Sciences and R&D etc.
- Responsible for the authorship, communication and dissemination of scientific output to scientific & technical functions and MSAT stakeholders.
- Utilise technical writing skills to author protocols, presentations and reports.
- Apply Univariate and/or Multivariate study design methodologies to discrete studies/experiments with appropriate support. Leverage statistical analysis to challenge data and generate objective conclusions from assigned projects.
- Champion a culture of empowerment, accountability, technical excellence and continuous improvement within MSAT.
- Responsible for contributing to strong cross functional relationships through promotion of science and the work of MSAT across stakeholder groups, specifically Technical Operations functions.
- Responsible for adhering to MSAT procedures and practices specifically in relation to laboratory operations.
- Accountable for assigned laboratory equipment use and maintenance (i.e. equipment ownership).
- Accountable for the integrity of the data and scientific conclusions from assigned scientific projects.
- Operate in alignment with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Maintaining a culture of Operational Excellence by applying standard work processes and maintaining laboratory 5S.
- Develop and maintain your Individual Development Plan (IDP) through training, mentoring and coaching.
- Accountable for the health and safety of self and colleagues working together.
ABOUT THE PERSON:
Education & Work Experience:
- PhD degree in a relevant scientific discipline (Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Process Engineering etc) with 0-4 years’ experience of laboratory scale cell culture/microbial processing techniques or commercial scale Upstream experience will also be considered.
- Master’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline (Biochemistry, biotechnology, process engineering etc) with 5+ years’ experience of laboratory scale cell culture/microbial processing techniques or commercial scale Upstream experience will also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline (Biochemistry, biotechnology, process engineering etc) with 8+ years’ experience of laboratory scale cell culture/microbial processing techniques or commercial scale Upstream experience will also be considered.
Hi, we’re Barden. We’re the Partner Led Talent Advisory & Recruitment Firm that puts Talent first. With practices across Accounting & Tax, Business Support, Financial Services, Life Sciences, Legal, Supply Chain, and Technology, we help build world-class teams for Ireland’s top companies and we help top Talent achieve their ambitions.Simple.