We recently had the pleasure of working with CIMA Ireland who asked us to put together a blog giving an update on the market and our top career tips. So far we’ve looked at the market right now, and getting your ducks in a row.
Next we look at working with recruiters…
There are a lot of benefits of partnering with one or two reputable recruiters and not doing so could mean that you’re missing out on exclusive opportunities, guidance around the interview process and even better negotiations around your terms of employment, all of which come at absolutely no cost to you.
Benefits of Working with Recruiters Especially During This Time
During this time, it would be advisable to engage a few different recruiters, use this as an opportunity to talk through your experience, practice selling yourself/ talking about yourself and your experience and aspirations in a positive way. Even if there aren’t a huge amount of active opportunities at the moment, ask the recruiter to send you a selection of opportunities they’ve worked on in the past 3-6 months so you can review these and see which companies and roles are standing out the most to you.
You’ll find that some recruiters will really take an interest in your career and where you ideally want to be and will help you map out a realistic way to make it there…this is consultancy and these are the recruiters you should be working with. Some other key benefits of partnering with a recruiter or a few carefully selected recruiters are:
- Greater awareness of opportunities: Many businesses, SMES, large indigenous companies and multinationals use recruiters so they are not inundated with irrelevant CV’s and sometimes do not even advertise themselves. There are also opportunities that are completely confidential whereby a recruiter is appointed to reach out only to registered candidates that match a list of prerequisites. Simply put: If you are not in it, you can’t win it!
- Our reputation can help get you seen: If your recruiter has a great track record with the company, or team, it can be invaluable to have their endorsement and can sometimes guarantee you a chance to shine at interviews. ‘There is no advertisement as powerful as a positive reputation traveling fast.’ – Brian Koslow
- Interview preparation: With their client in mind, your recruiter will help you prepare for your interview. This guidance can give you a real edge on your competition.
- Salary negotiation: A make it or break it moment in any interview process, the uncomfortable salary question is an interviewer favourite that a recruiter can really help you with…to ensure you’re not pricing yourself above or below what is reasonable for that role and company.
Reach Out To Us…We Are Here To Help
In Barden we’re here to listen, help and guide you on the best next steps for your career so please reach out to us. Below you’ll find some info on each of our team who put this blog together for you.
As well as this…
- We work as consultants – We understand that you may soon feel like you’re drowning in information when you start a job search. We’re here to provide the hard facts on the jobs market, types of roles out there, types of companies, industries….
- We want you to make an informed decision – It’s important to evaluate all your options before making a decision to move roles (or not). We also work closely with hiring managers and make sure that you have all the valuable information you need to make an informed decision…and ultimately to make the best decision for YOU.
- We want to build a long term relationship with you – We want to be that Agony Aunt (you know the one you call when you’re having a bad day!) and Barden wants to be there for you throughout your career…from when you’re studying or are in the early stages of your career to when you are Newly Qualified to Post Qualified role to Senior to maybe even CEO or CFO.
- We love a good cuppa – we’re here to listen to you and understand what you want (they call us champion coffee drinkers for a reason 😉 )
- We can’t control when airplanes will fly again but we all can have a positive mindset and put in the time now in order to be ready to put the foot on the accelerator when the time is right!
Reach Out to Us
If you’d like more information or would like some help in navigating your career reach out to us at email@example.com or contact one of team using the info below…
Tara Higgins, Team Lead in Barden Cork | Expert in AP/AR/Payroll & Part Qualified Accountant Careers | firstname.lastname@example.org |
Cliodhna O’Brien, Associate in Barden Cork | Expert in AP/AR/Payroll & Part Qualified Accountant Careers | email@example.com
Nicole Carroll, Senior Associate in Barden Dublin | Expert in AP/AR/Payroll & Part Qualified Accountant Careers | firstname.lastname@example.org
Aoibhin Byrne, Associate in Barden Dublin | Expert in AP/AR/Payroll & Part Qualified Accountant Careers |email@example.com
A special thanks to CIMA for publishing this piece in the recent Student eNewsletter. See here.